Search This Blog

Friday 16 January 2015

A Novel Journey


I remember when I was in 9th grade I’d a friend in my class who used to read so many novels. Once I saw a thick old looking book with her so I asked her what that book was about & she told me that it was Tom Swayer, an interesting book about a boy, that she'd borrowed from the school library. She insisted that I too should read it as its a very good book.

Classic Novels

A few days later I went to the school library & borrowed Tom Swayer & that was the first novel that I ever read. I didn’t like it as much as my friend did but that inspired me to read. Next I read David Copperfield & I wept secretly hiding from my mother as I read about the miseries of the little boy who was forced to live away from his mother. Then there was The Little Princess, Heidi, Pride & Prejudice & few other classic novels (I don’t recall now, its been a long time since!).



Psychology & Suspense/Thriller



After all those classic fictions I came across books like Many Lives, Many Masters (a books that totally blew my mind at that time), The Best Laid Plans by Sidney Sheldon,  Da Vince Code & Angels & Demons  by Dan Brown. I thoroughly enjoyed reading suspense & thriller. Even today I'd like to read novels from this genre.

Young Adult Fiction



 Then I got hands on some teenager-girlie books like LBD, Princess Dairy Series, All American Girls, Victoria & Rouge, The Mediator series, Nicola & Viscout, Teen Idol (except LBD all by Meg Cabot) & then I grew sick of Meg Cabot novels & in fact all girlie novels for that matter.

Harry Potter Mania


I was in 10th grade when I was introduced to the famous Harry Potter novels (by the same friend who suggested me to read my first novel!). I was instantly head over heels for harry potter & got addicted to HP series. In India we used to have board in 10th standard back then (now I think its not compulsory) so I used to hide from mom to read it because she wouldn’t let me read it since as a 10th grader one is supposed to be reading text books for board & not the adventurous story of a wizard boy!!

Some Hindi Novels

During one of the summer vacation when my father was cleaning & organising old files & books I found few novels like treasures so I grabbed few novels from his Hindi novel collection ( & he let me of course!). Those were novels from renowned Hindi & Urdu authors. Though now I don’t remember all those novel names( I do remember novel's plots vaguely) but I do remember one of 'em was Nirmala written by Hindi and Urdu writer Munshi Premchand .Though Nirmala means "virtuous" or "pure", David Rubin, the first translator, titled it as The Second Wife. The plot revolves around a young girl named Nirmala, who is forced to marry a widower of her father's age. After reading  Nirmala I felt that it was too mature for my age.

After I finished my school I never got time to read many novels. Also my area of interest changed to non-fiction which also suited my academic & career needs. Though during last two years I've been able to  read Rich Dad & Poor Dad , You Can Win & Fallen Angel. In 2015 I want to continue my novel journey & discover some good non-fictions to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment